Recipe based upon one found in Dave Miller’s Homebrewing Guide - with my own tweaks, of course. This one should age up just in time for Oktoberfest.
Concentration was 25.39 points/pounds/gallon (ppg).
42 x 6.5 / 10.75 = 25.39 ppg.
Efficiency was about 71% - not bad for my first run with all grain.
To calculate efficiency I referenced John Palmer’s How To Brew book for typical malt yields in points/pounds/gallon, multiplied that number by the amount of each grain and divided by the wort collected (6.5 gallons). Then, I added each together and divided into the pre-boil gravity (42).
I’m explaining this now so I know how to calculate efficiency in future batchs... Carry on.
On the spur of the moment, I decided to add 8 oz. of honey to the boil, which shot the post-boil gravity to 1.062. We’ll see how it will affect things. Generally, I like the taste honey lends to most styles of beer, so I think it will suit this style as well. I am a bit worried about there being a strong alcohol taste in the finished product, however (August 13, 2006).
Racked to secondary, took a gravity reading and had a taste. Definite fruitiness and the malt is evident. Bitterness is subdued. Should be in secondary for at least a week - will probably go about 9 days or so to let the yeast do its thing (August 19, 2006).
I have to say that I’m a bit worried about this one. It has a particular nose that I cannot pin down. Not really as extreme to say as ’rank’ or ’skunky’ - but an unusual one just the same. Since I haven’t brewed an Oktoberfest before, I don’t have a frame of reference for what the smell should be during fermentation. All I can do is lager it for a while and see if it turns out. If not, back to the drawing board (August 23, 2006).
There was some definate contamination. I can’t figure it out, so I’ll be giving all my equipment a extra thorough cleaning and sanitizing just to be safe. As much as it hurt me to do it, this one had to be dumped. So goes my first all-grain beer. Curses!! Maybe next year (September 2, 2006).
I discovered the off-flavors were a result of the Gott cooler I have as a mash tun. This was the first batch with the new tun and I guess I didn’t get it as clean as I could have. I should have used vinegar to temper the interior plastic (September 9, 2006).
OK, I figured it out. It wasn’t the new cooler or anything equipment-related. It was the damn yeast. It was old and tired. And infected. I had to dump this one due to the "skunkiness" and I had to dump another batch, about four months later, due to the same problem. This recipe should be tried again in the late spring.
|6.00 pounds||German Light Munich Malt||55.8%|
|4.00 pounds||British Pale Ale Malt||37.2%|
|0.50 pounds||Belgian Aromatic Malt||4.7%|
|0.25 pounds||German CaraMunich Malt II||2.3%|
|10.75 pounds||Total Grain Weight||100%|
|1/8 tsp.||Super Irish Moss||15 minutes|
|1.00 ounces||Hallertauer Mittlefruh||60 min||4.8%|
|1.00 ounces||Tettnanger||15 min||3.0%|
|2.00 ounces||Total Hop Weight|
|Octoberfest/Marzen||White Labs||Liquid||35 ml|
|Dough In||4 quarts of strike water added to begin, stirring||153° F||10 min.|
|Mash||Mash in with the rest of the strike water (9.5 quarts), stirring every 15 minutes||153° F||60 min.|
|Sparge (Batch #1)||Add 4 quarts of water to tun, stir, let sit, recirculate, runoff into kettle||168° F||15 min.|
|Sparge (Batch #2)||Add 12 quarts of water to tun, stir, let sit, recirculate, runoff into kettle||168° F||15 min.|
|Strike Water Amount:||3.6|
|Strike Water Temperature:|
|Sparge Water Amount:||4.2|
|Sparge Water Temperature:|
|OG:||1.062 / 15.2° P|
Printed using BrewBlogger 3.0.0, brewing log software for PHP and MySQL, available at http://www.brewblogger.net.